Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un’s public war of words edged another notch closer to armageddon Thursday when the North Korean leader issued a fiery attack on Trump’s UN address.
In a long and personal statement published by North Korean news agency KCNA, per the Washington Post, Kim Jong-un slammed Trump’s “rude nonsense” and “mentally deranged behavior.”
He was responding to that time Trump referred to him as “Rocket Man” and threatened to destroy the entire country — in front of many world leaders.
In the message, Kim Jong-un fired numerous barbs at the president. Among the strongest:
- “A frightened dog barks louder.”
- “His remarks remind me of such words as ‘political layman’ and ‘political heretic’ which were in vogue in reference to Trump during his presidential election campaign.”
- “He is unfit to hold the prerogative of supreme command of a country … surely a rogue and a gangster fond of playing with fire.”
- “Action is the best option in treating the dotard who, hard of hearing, is uttering only what he wants to say.”
- “I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire.”
Yeah. And in case you were wondering, the statement insisted that Trump’s remarks reinforced the North Korean leader’s commitment to the country’s nuclear program.
Some analysts insisted this was an unprecedented dispatch.
Still, it triggered the Merriam-Webster troll machine, so there’s that.
For now, the world awaits Trump’s no doubt measured and diplomatic response.